Assisted Instrument Purchase Scheme
What is the Assisted Instrument Purchase Scheme?
The Assisted Instrument Purchase Scheme (AIPS) allows parents to buy a harp without having to pay United Kingdom VAT (20 %). This means that on an instrument such as our Siff Saff harp (worth £1995) you could save over £332.50 off the purchase price. The VAT is also removed from all accessories purchased along with the harp, providing they are ordered at the same time as the instrument itself.
The scheme is run with the full approval of H.M. Revenue & Customs.
Who is eligible for AIPS?
AIPS is available to students in full time education at an LEA (Local Education Authority) school and/or receiving music tuition at an LEA funded Music Centre.
Although open to all LEAs and LEA maintained schools across England and Wales, AIPS itself is a purely voluntary scheme that different local authorities are free to operate in different ways. We recommend that you discuss purchasing an instrument through AIPS with your child’s school or LEA before ordering your harp.
How It Works With Our Harps
- Choose the harp that you would like. You may choose an instrument either from existing stock or have one made to your specifications.
- If you are hiring a harp and wish to purchase the harp you have on hire we will honour the ‘sliding scale’ of harp hire payment refunds, as detailed in your hire agreement – this discount is in addition to your VAT saving.
- You will then ask your child’s LEA (Local Education Authority) to order the harp on your behalf, usually via the head teacher of the school your child attends. We will provide you with the cost price of your harp (less any discounts for hire fee refund) and any additional accessories.
- Payment will be made by you directly to the school or LEA who will then issue Teifi Harps with payment.
- The school/LEA will then issue Teifi Harps with a purchase order with your child’s name as reference. We will produce an invoice for your harp when it has been completed, and send this to the LEA. As soon as we has received the purchase order, you will be able to collect your harp. If your harp is not ready to collect, we will contact you as soon as it is ready for collection.
Some LEAs issue a form that must be used when the order is placed in order to qualify for the scheme. These forms can be requested from the school. Other LEAs do not produce a dedicated form and the school can simply issue its own purchase order to us stating the instrument you require.
A Few More Things To Know
To comply with H.M. Customs & Excise regulations the following requirements must also be met:
- The instrument must be appropriate for the student’s needs and must be portable. (All Teifi lever harps are classed as ‘portable’ although very occasionally this is questioned by the LEA – in case of any queries, please contact Teifi Harps for clarification).
- The sale transaction must take place on educational premises.
- For students who receive regular tuition from an LEA music service there is not usually a requirement for him/her to be a pupil at an LEA school. This may enable pupils at independent schools who receive tuition through a County Music Service to take advantage of musical instrument purchase under AIPS.
If you are eligible for AIPS and wish to buy a Teifi harp, please contact your local LEA for a form. You can find your nearest LEA using this page. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us on 01559 363222 or by email here.