Assisted Instrument Purchase Scheme
Although open only to LEAs and LEA maintained schools, AIPS itself is a purely voluntary scheme which different local authorities are free to operate in different ways. We recommend you discuss purchasing an instrument through AIPS with the school or LEA in advance.
• The scheme enables you to purchase a harp for your child WITHOUT paying VAT.
• Available throughout England and Wales from participating Local Education Authorities
• The scheme is run with the full approval of H.M. Revenue & Customs
The Assisted Instrument Purchase Scheme allows parents to buy a harp without having to pay United Kingdom V.A.T. (20 %). This means that when buying an instrument for £3,065 you could save over £510 on the purchase price. The VAT is also removed from all accessories purchased along with the harp, providing they are ordered at the same time as the instrument itself.
How it works –
- Choose the instrument you wish to buy from our available stock, or place an order for the harp of your choice.
- If you are hiring a harp and wish to purchase the harp you have on hire we will usually be able to offer an additional discount depending on the age and condition of the hire harp. We also honour the ‘sliding scale’ of harp hire payment refunds, as detailed in your hire agreement – this discount is in addition to your VAT saving.
- You will then ask your child’s LEA (Local Education Authority) to order the harp on your behalf, usually via the head teacher of the school your child attends. We will provide you with the cost price of your harp (less any discounts for hire fee refund) and any additional accessories.
- Payment will be made by you directly to the school or LEA who will then issue Telynau Teifi with payment.
- The school/LEA will then issue Telynau Teifi with a purchase order with your child’s name as reference. Telynau Teifi will produce an invoice for your harp when it has been completed, and send this to the LEA. As soon as Telynau Teifi has received the purchase order, you will be able to collect your harp. If your harp is not ready to collect, we will contact you as soon as it is ready for collection.
Some LEAs issue a form that must be used when the order is placed to qualify for the scheme. These forms can be requested from the school. Other LEAs do not produce a dedicated form and the school can simply issue its own purchase order to us stating the instrument you require. Otherwise, please use our own Telynau Teifi AIPS Order form.
To comply with H.M. Customs & Excise regulations the following requirements must be met:
• The student must be in full time education at an LEA school and/or receiving music tuition at an LEA funded Music Centre.
• The instrument must be appropriate for the student’s needs and must be portable. (All Telynau Teifi Celtic and Lever harps are classed as ‘portable’ although very occasionally this is questioned by the LEA – in case of any queries, please contact Telynau Teifi for clarification).
• The sale transaction must take place on educational premises.
• For students who receive regular tuition from the LEA’s music service there is not usually a requirement for him/her to be a pupil at an LEA school. This may enable pupils at independent schools who receive tuition through a County Music Service to take advantage of musical instrument purchase under AIPS.